Live Action Quick Tips
Did you know….
Fish and chips became a stock meal among the working classes in England as a consequence of the rapid development of trawl fishing in the North Sea, and the development of railways which connected the ports to major industrial cities during the second half of the 19th century, which meant that fresh fish could be rapidly transported to the heavily populated areas. Deep-fried fish was first introduced into Britain during the 16th century by Jewish refugees from Portugal and Spain, and is derived from pescado frito. In 1860, the first fish and chip shop was opened in London by Joseph Malin. (en.wikipedia.org)
The Brit – Downtown San Jose, Ca
Recommended Dishes an drinks:
Fish and Chips, Dry Rub Chicken Wings, The Beer of your Choice
It’s the weekend and what do you have planned for the night?
Are you going to a bar? Out dancing? Or hanging at home?
Whatever you are doing I hope you enjoy yourself and have a moment of relaxation to get yourself back to the basics of living to enjoy life and not for life to overwhelm you.
One thing Virginia and I like to do on weekends is to have an ice cold Lagunitas IPA with a couple of Jameson shots and some bar food to go with it.
Live Action Quick Tips
Did you know….
There are 5 star restaurants around the world that can charge you up to $600 per person for a nice meal.(usatoday.com)
My Home – San Jose, Ca
Cajun Salmon sitting on top of a bed of mash potatoes with asparagus
2 Salmon Fillets – You can buy at a market for under $15
3-4 large potatoes
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 Stick of Butter
2 Garlic Cloves
1/4 Yellow Onion
Asparagus – Half a bundle
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grab a pan to place in oven and place foil within and pour about 4 tablespoons of oil
- Season salmon fillet on top only with creole seasoning and Italian Herbs and place onto pan
- Slice onion into long slices and sprinkle around the fish
- Mince garlic and sprinkle around the fish
- Cut half a lemon and squeeze lemon juice over fish
Place in oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Potatoes and Asparagus Prep
- Grab 2 large potatoes and place in boiling water for 45 minutes
- While potatoes are boiling grab a pan to cook asparagus on stove top
- Pour about 4 tablespoons of oil in pan and turn on medium heat
- Slice small pieces of onion and throw into pan and then immediately place in the asparagus
- Toss asparagus for 10 minutes and remove from stove top
- Grab a bowl and remove mash potatoes. Be careful they are hot!
- Use a fork and begin to mash them in a bowl. If they are still hard you can place them in microwave for 5 minutes and then they should be soft.
- Pour 1/2 cup of milk and stir until blended together
- Add half a stick of butter and stir until blended
- Lightly Salt and taste, salt and taste until it tastes exactly how you want it.
1. Use spoon and place mash potatoes on plate to the slight left of plate in the shape of your salmon filet.
2. Place salmon fillet on top of potatoes
3. Lay out a couple of pieces of asparagus towards the right side of the plate
4. Cut of circular slices of lemon and lay on the plate to fill the gaps. Just make it as elegant as as you can and serve.
Tip: A loaf of garlic bread would go great with this and a glass of white wine!
Between $15-20 for feeding up to 2 people
Being in the comfort of your own home and eating a gourmet meal that would normally cost you $50 a person is a blessing in itself but where do you start from. Many of us have a Ferrari taste but Honda budget so how do we get a gourmet restaurant meal in our home without having to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get it.
There are many different types of dishes you can cook at home to reach a gourmet meal display on a plate by adding some type of bright veggie to your signature dish and not over-setting the plate.
Asparagus tends to be the vegetable of choice in many elegant restaurants because it’s decorative and has an artistic shape to it.
Now let’s get down to business and talk a bit about how I even got to this point to cook at home rather than go out to eat.